By Mary Ellen Koontz, Cleveland Park Farmers Market Manager
The start of September also means the start of fall produce at market! I’m not sure I can choose a favorite season, but fall vegetables are definitely up there- especially since I’ve been craving root vegetables for weeks.
- Speaking of root vegetables, Rendezvous Farms has been stocked with carrots, beets, and radishes the last few weeks. Perfect for snacking and roasting for easy meal-prep all week long.
- Garner’s Produce is starting to see the end of summer produce, so make sure to grab your favorites before they’re gone til next year!
- Roasting lots of veggies is a perfect excuse to pick up a bottle or two of olive oil from Ancient Foods and topping it with goat cheese from Cheese Goatees who are returning to market this week!
- The start of autumn in the Pennsylvania mountains near Kuhns Orchard means that apple season is here! There are only a couple weeks left of peaches and nectarines while early season apples are changing every week.
- Cold Country is currently up in Alaska getting their fall catch! It’s the perfect time to order lots of salmon at a discounted price- you can even pick up from market.
- Have you seen the Washington Post article on Green Almond Pantry? One of our long time vendors had an excellent review in the Post and we agree!
- My go-to breakfast on weekends (and a busy weekday) is a muffin or croissant and a cup of coffee. VegHeaven makes the best vegan baked goods and Metropolitan Bakery has their pastries down to a science. Those two, paired with a cup of coffee from ViaVolcan is the perfect way to start a busy day at market.
Don’t forget that Mechelle’s Baking Company is on their off week and Cracked is back at Smorgasburg.
See you at market!