By Mary Ellen Koontz, Cleveland Park Farmers Market Manager
The temperatures are set to be a little lower this weekend and we couldn’t be more thrilled! Make sure to stop by market and say hello to our neighbors from Cleveland & Woodley Park Village who are seeking new volunteers. Don’t forget the Green Almond Pantry is on summer break for the next few weeks. Here’s what you’ll find in my basket at market this week:
- I talked with so many of you making gazpacho last week, I’m inspired! The seconds at Garners are a steal and perfect for this version of our favorite summer soup.
- If making it yourself isn’t your thing, Dana makes a great gazpacho that she packs for market! It’s a little different each week (based on what the crops are doing), but it’s always delicious.
- Sunday means brunch and summer brunch means bellinis! I’m looking forward to making a fresh peach puree for these with fruit from Kuhns Orchard.
- As fall approaches, we have the first varieties of early season apples! The tart apples are perfect for an afternoon snack with nut butter.
- The scallions from Rendezvous Farm are so big that it’s taken me some time to get through the bunch! But I’m pretty adamant about keeping my food waste to a minimum so I’ve been turning to this list for new ideas.
- Summer is the perfect time to add a twist to your Taco Tuesday rotation. Halibut from Cold Country is a meaty white fish perfect for fish tacos with a cilantro slaw.
- I like to switch up my breakfast routine pretty often. This week I’ll be picking up a big baguette from Metropolitan Bakery to toast with a bit of jam this week.
- With all of these delicious, healthy recipes, a treat will certainly be in store at some point. I’m a sucker for a chocolate chip cookie and Veg Heaven’s do not disappoint- you could even make a delicious vegan ice cream sandwich with them!
Check back on our instagram next Wednesday for a big announcement about an exciting market pop up!