By Mary Ellen Koontz, Cleveland Park Farmers Market Manager
We have a really exciting lineup for market this week. This Saturday, we’re launching our children’s reading circle lead by Politics and Prose with support from the Keegan Theatre from 9:15 to 9:45 under the Uptown marquee. While the kids enjoy the reading, ask me about what’s on my summer reading list and don’t forget to check out their store just up Connecticut Ave for all your summer reading! We also have the Tregaron Conservancy on hand to discuss one of our great neighborhood parks! I’ve spent many afternoons wandering the Conservancy and look forward to having them at the market this week.
The summer heat is upon us, and I’m looking forward to a lot of light, easy meals. Here’s what you’ll find in my market basket this week:
- Berries are at their peak in south central PA and Kuhn Orchard’s is ripe for the picking. You can usually find me snacking on berries at market, but if mine do make it home, I’ll whip up this quick, beautiful berry galette or strawberry salsa.
- Speaking of my market meals, VegHeaven’s baked goods get me through the early morning setup!
- Garners Produce is fully stocked with summer vegetables. I’m looking forward to picking up their kale pesto for an easy summer dinner and cabbage for fish tacos!
- For the pesto, I’ll be using a spaghetti squash this week, but often use penne, with a bit of fresh goat cheese and burst cherry tomatoes.
- Speaking of fish tacos, did you know Cold Country catches more than just salmon? I’m picking up some halibut or cod for my fish tacos.
- Don’t forget that you can place an order in advance and pick it up for the market!
- A fresh baguette from Metropolitan Bakery is the perfect match with Garner’s kale pesto. I’ll also use it on a turkey sandwich with mozzarella for lunch this week.
- I also love the lemon fava dip from Green Almond Pantry on cucumber slices or bell peppers. Roxy also recommends searing the lentil balls in a pan for a protein packed meal or starter.
Please note, due to some staffing issues, Cracked will not be at the market this week. We’re looking forward to having the guys back next week! Next week, Roan Gap will be back with bluegrass tunes, and a Glow Kids family yoga class at 9:15!