By Mary Ellen Koontz, Cleveland Park Farmers Market Manager
It’s that time of year! The holidays are just around the corner, and our Holiday Market opens next week in conjunction with all the market vendors you know and love- including our new vendor Pipeline Poultry. While you shop, be sure to grab a hot cup of coffee from Via Volcan and a Cracked egg sammie to keep you warm!
This month, I’ll be rounding up Thanksgiving recipes utilizing ingredients from our farmers! Make sure to check your ingredient list and check it twice before heading down to market– the lists below only include those ingredients carried by our vendors.
- Gluten-free Quinoa and Wild Rice Stuffing– Whether you call it stuffing or dressing, this dressed up recipe is sure to wow!
- Italian sausage (spicy or sweet) and chicken stock from Pipeline Poultry — to make stock, ask for a chicken carcass
- Ancient Foods olive oil
- Leek, garlic, and chestnuts from Kuhns Orchard. This is the last week of chestnuts for the year, so be sure to get yours for the season- they’ll stay fresh in your fridge for 2 – 3 months.
- Imperial Cheese – the recipe calls for asiago, but this hard cheese from Cheese Goatees will substitute wonderfully.
- Herbs from Garners Produce, need we say more?
- Not gluten free? Pick up a loaf from Metropolitan Bakery and let it sit out for a few days to get stale.
- Mashed Potatoes and gravy
- Pick up potatoes and thyme from Rendezvous Farms
- Snacks while you cook – If your family does a late dinner, make sure to pick up snacks from Green Almond Pantry, VegHeaven, and Cold Country Salmon to keep the hunger at bay.
Don’t forget to order your Thanksgiving pie from Mechelle’s Baking Company this week to pick it up before the family gets in town!