By Mary Ellen Koontz, Cleveland Park Farmers Market Manager
This week hasn’t been that hot and back to school season is here. It’s like I can see fall just around corner! For me, autumn means cozy sweaters and lots of excuses to have pie, which is good news because we have a new vendor, Mechelle’s Baking Company joining us every other week this fall. We also have our monthly children’s reading circle with Politics & Prose again this Saturday! Join us at 9:15 under the Uptown marquee for story time and activities!
Here’s what I’m looking forward to this week:
- Market prep starts pretty early on Saturday morning, so by the time we’re set up and ready for you, I’m ready for breakfast. This usually means a croissant, but I’m looking forward to a cup of coffee from Via Volcan and a Cracked breakfast sandwich this week!
- Don’t forget- Cracked is only here until the end of the month!
- Confession time: I prefer freestone peaches to clingstone any day (but donut peaches to them all!). Luckily for me, the late summer varieties from Kuhns Orchard peel away from the stone like a charm, which also makes them easier for cooking and baking.
- I’m getting a really late dinner with friends this weekend and having some snacks before, so I’ll be bringing a pie from Mechelle’s Baking Co. It’s the weekend, so dessert first is allowed, right?
- Bowls are the perfect thing to meal prep. You make most, if not all, of it ahead of time and this hoisin caramelized salmon and soba noodle bowl looks like the perfect solution to a busy week and my craving for Cold Country‘s salmon!
- Rendezvous Farms is piled high with peppers! Mike had beautiful shishito peppers with him last week and I can’t wait to turn them into carne asada fajitas!
- The last few weeks have felt especially crazy, so I’ll be picking up a few extra muffins from VegHeaven to help get me through the start of next week.
- When my weeks get nuts, I like to use the bread of croissants from Metropolitan Bakery to make a quick sandwich for lunch before I leave for work. I’m looking forward to making this mango chicken salad for the week.
- The only thing better than fresh corn from Garners is fresh, grilled corn with this fancy butter full of cheese and flavor. Trust me, it’s amazing.
See you at market!