By Mary Ellen Koontz, Cleveland Park Farmers Market Manager
There’s finally been a chill in the air the last few days as we move into fall (even if the leaves are still holding on to their leaves). The cool weather has me craving lots of hearty soups this week, so I’m doing a round up of some of my favorite soups featuring market ingredients. Time to bust out the Crock Pot or pressure cooker and get cooking– and don’t forget to freeze any extra for a cold winter night!
Don’t forget to stop by our Family Reading Circle with Politics and Prose & the Keegan Theatre this Saturday. We’ll see you under the marquee at 9:15! Pick up a cup of coffee from Via Volcan, a Cracked sandwich (I highly recommend the bittersweet symphony) and a sweet from VegHeaven after for you and the kids.
- Salmon Chowder – This is the one of easiest– Pick up a batch from Cold Country Salmon, heat it on the stove and call it a night!
- You can also try out this recipe, using Cold Country’s smoked salmon with potatoes, scallions, and carrots from Rendezvous Farms.
- Instant Pot Chili– Watching the Nats play in the World Series next week? I’ll be throwing chili ingredients into my pressure cooker for a weeknight meal made for watching baseball. Pick up fresh onions, tomatoes and peppers from Garner’s Produce.
- *You can make this in a slow cooker or stovetop, too, it’ll just take longer.
- One Pot French Onion Soup – If you haven’t noticed I love caramelized onions. I’m making a big pot of this french onion soup for the week using some baguettes from Metropolitan Bakery, the Farmhouse or Imperial cheese from Cheese Goatees, and cipollini onions from Kuhns. They’re small, sweet onions are perfect for caramelizing and will make a great addition to this classic soup.
- Zuppa Toscano – We’ve been talking about this soup a lot at market lately. Garners kale and Rendezvous Farms potatoes are the perfect pair for this lemony, creamy soup. Starting with a good olive oil is key here, so make sure to grab a bottle from Ancient Foods.
- Lentil Soup – a classic soup that Chef Cagla from Green Almond Pantry excels at!