By Mary Ellen Koontz, Cleveland Park Farmers Market Manager
Even with the warm temps, market is bursting with fall treats! I’m loving all the root vegetables at market- they’re prefect for a quick, easy sheet pan meal to last all week.
- While I love pumpkins, pumpkin spice isn’t really my thing. That said, I’m thinking about giving it a shot with this homemade pumpkin syrup using the pie pumpkins at Garners Produce.
- Sweet potatoes are basically their own food group for me, and I’ve been loving them roasted and topped with greens from Rendezvous Farms. I know I’ve posted about this combo before, but it’s because I eat it all the time!
- A key part of this is good olive oil, and Ancient Foods has you covered with the real, organic, fresh Greek stuff.
- There’s a 100% chance that while I have sweet potatoes roasting, I’m finding an excuse to eat Ancient Foods olive oil. It’s the perfect accompaniment for Metropolitan Bakery’s bread, which I cut a piece off of a bit at I time while I store the rest in the freezer to keep it fresh. If you’re feeling extra fancy, add in some basil blossoms from Rendezvous farms for great taste and presentation.
- I got the rare hankering for pasta last week and happened to have some fettuccine in my house. Once the pasta was cooked, I added some Cheese Goatees Garlic & Chive goat cheese and let it melt in for a healthier version of alfredo. It was quick and delicious!
- It’s no secret that I’m a tad busy, and Green Almond Pantry consistently saves me from eating out. Lately, I’ve been using Chef Cagla’s granola in greek yogurt for a healthy breakfast.
- Growing up near the Pennsylvania mountains, apple season (read: fall) is my favorite time of year. There is nothing like a fresh picked apple, and Kuhn Orchard’s has been keeping me from my annual bout of homesickness. I’m looking forward to trying out this “baked apple” recipe to add into my yogurt and granola this week!
- P.S. – If you’re like me and have been sneezing up a storm this fall allergy season, try their honey! Local honey helps to reduce outdoor allergies and tastes delicious.
- You’re in luck if you’re craving apple pie without the work this week! This is an “on week” for Mechelle’s Baking Company and she’s pretty much guaranteed to sell out!
- Speaking of selling out- Cracked Eggery has been bringing the bacon (and selling out of it!). Stop by early to pick up your favorite pie and egg sandwich.
- The only thing that makes Cracked’s egg sammies better is Via Volcan coffee. I’ve been using my beans to make cold brew this week and loving it (p.s.- Chris is bringing oat milk to market now!)
- VegHeaven is back these week with more of their amazing vegan treats. The rum cake is a fan favorite, but they’ve always got muffins to keep everyone happy over breakfast!
- This year, I’ve been making a habit of making new recipes and trying new foods. I think this recipe is next on the docket with Cold Country Salmon’s Black Cod. Zach was in Alaska a few weeks ago catching fish to flash freeze and send back here, so you know it’s super fresh!