By Mary Ellen Koontz, Cleveland Park Farmers Market Manager
Happy National Farmers Market Week! To celebrate, we’ll have some fun family activities , a local musician playing, and lots of fun! Green Almond Pantry is still on vacation for a couple weeks, but will be back soon.
Here’s what I’m looking forward to this week:
- Cracked Eggery is back! The guys will be slinging egg sandwiches at market for the next 4 weeks before returning to Smorgusburg for the fall, so be sure to get ’em while they’re hot.
- Our newest vendor Via Volcan will be serving coffee to get your morning going. Their single-origin beans come directly from their family farm in Panama. The perfect match for your breakfast sandwich or pastry!
- Speaking of, Metropolitan Bakery‘s croissants are a mainstay for me. I like to pick up a couple extra for Sunday morning.
- Summer has hit Rendezvous Farms in Maryland. They’re stocked with cherry tomatoes perfect for lunch time salads, heirloom tomatoes, peppers and summer carrots! I’ll be using the tomatoes in a salad with a few peaches and a bit of prosciutto for lunch this week.
- As we approach the end of summer, Kuhn Orchard‘s has freestone peaches! I prefer these to clingstone, especially for whipping up a quick, simple, and delicious peach jam that is sure to impress.
- A few weeks ago, I realized that Cold Country has ground salmon! This salmon burger is one of my go-to recipes, and perfect for their fish.
- The cookies at VegHeaven are amazing, really. I’ve been dreaming about making an ice cream sandwich (with Ben & Jerry’s expanded non-dairy flavors) with Sade’s s’mores cookies!
- Garners Produce farm has been bursting at the seams with produce this summer, and this week is no different. The corn is still fully stocked and this Sweet Corn and Zucchini Pie recipe is perfect for any meal. It’s going to make a great breakfast by itself or a filling dinner with a piece of chicken.
See you at market!